Our School App Stay connected on the go...
In the Biology department, we aim to:
- Stimulate an interest in and enjoyment of Biology.
- To foster an understanding of the importance of Biology in the modern world.
- To encourage the development of practical and analytical skills through regular, relevant practical work.
Years 10 - 11
We study the AQA specification at GCSE. Students will sit external examinations for this in the summer of Year 11. Students are entered either for Triple Science or Combined Science GCSEs. We encourage the development of knowledge and understanding in Biology by providing the students with opportunities for working scientifically.
We will complete a number of practical activities throughout the course. Students will need to be able to recall these practicals in the examinations. Students have access to lots of revision material on Moodle. We also recommend buying a copy of the CGP revision guide for AQA Biology. This is available through Parent Pay. The students have access to the online textbook on the Kerboodle website.
The topics that we cover are:
- Cell biology
- Infection and response
- Homeostasis and response
- Inheritance, variation and evolution
- All students will be given a login for the online text book on Kerboodle, which covers all courses.
- Further course details and past papers can be found on Moodle and on the aqa website – Click the links for ‘Science A’ or Additional Science for students studying these courses.
- BBC Bitesize has useful revision for Units 1, 2 and 3 of the course.
- A more challenging but also helpful revision website is docbrown.info
Why Study Biology?
Biology is a fascinating and diverse subject which will teach you how to collect and evaluate data, how to investigate, how to use deduction, how to effectively put over your point of view, as well as understand how your own body works and new technologies.
Advances in Biology are having a huge impact on our lives, so much so that hardly a week goes by without a report in the media. Recent topical subjects we have looked at this year include diabetes treatment, the Zika virus, and gene editing.
If you have ever wondered why some people are lactose intolerant? how cancer develops? or are curious about the world then Biology is for you.
Past students have gone on to study Medicine, Biochemistry, Biomedical, Genetics, Forensic Sciences, Pharmacy, Dentistry and Biological Sciences degrees. Biology is a facilitating subject welcomed by Russell Group universities.
Recent Exam Success
Biology continually has a high take up and many students surpass their target grades. Last year 50% of students gained an A* or A grade at the end of the 2 year course.